Friday, October 3, 2014




POST 6

My experience in the field

  • Describe your experience
  • Talk about some difficulties or problems you faced
  • What did you like and what you didn't like about it? Why?
  • Make 3 comments on your classmates posts

Minimum 220 words

Social Worker cartoons, Social Worker cartoon, funny, Social Worker picture, Social Worker pictures, Social Worker image, Social Worker images, Social Worker illustration, Social Worker illustrations

I remember when I first had to go into the field; I was nervous and not sure how people would receive me. I went to  a NOG in the Bronx called Citizens Advice Bureau. This NGO offered difference type of services to people in the neighborhood and community, from helping them to find a job, immigration processes, talk to landlords  about their rent or finding a place to live to problems with guns.
Citizens Advice Bureau is an organization which began in England many years ago. It was founded to help neighbors with different types of problems that they did not know how to resolve or need to get some legal or advice from professionals. In this place worked people who at one point have been community leaders to professional social workers and psychologists.
At the beginning I had to learn about all the services provide to the community. I think it took me two weeks to learn them all. Then I began to assist people who came in with all sorts of issues and without appointment. My other duty was to develop a job bank for young adults. I had to visit many stores and industries in the area to find out the type of jobs that they were offering for this population. Once this part of the project ended, I conducted workshops with some of the young adults who were invited. This invitation was done by word of mouth,  flyer posted on the street, and sent to different schools as well.

One of the things I did not like about this project was that the young adults ended up not being responsible with the different assignments given to them, and I was in charge of them for their probationary period.  But I did like my professional role of social worker in the field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment